Good morning all. Sunday morning (24 Nov) very early.
Greetings from this extraordinary place called Kerala. I have been here less than 24 hours but have had a most enjoyable and amazing time. And, the best is yet to come.
I left my sanctuary in Mysore at 6.00 am yesterday when two of the students drove me to the station to catch the train to Bangalore. I was booked in "common class" (people call it cattle class) which is old carriages with bench seats facing each other each side of the carriage. I sat with two others amongst the common throng. They were well dressed and very civil. A few nods and quite a number of stares which disappeared when I made eye contact and smiled.
I helped a man cut some leaves from the bars of the window and he was grateful. I had nail clippers in the top of my pack.
Every few minutes men would walk up the narrow aisles yelling in their language for the wares they were selling, coffee, tea, water, dossa, rice balls etc.
Once we got closer to Bangalore lots more people started to get on the train at each stop and things got interesting. We were crammed in, two women joined me and the person next to me on a seat designed for three sitting close together. They were joking about one of the women connecting up with this big Australian.
When I got to Bangalore station I was part of the throng. I caught an auto and then a taxi to the airport and waited until my flight at 2.00pm. Fr Tijo met me and we drove to the nearby Novitiate which is an extensive series of buildings next to a beautiful and large river, And it is empty. He had hired a car for me and we toured the local district, visiting the amazing churches (I cannot describe how intricate and detailed and beautiful and old they are.) I have some photos and will do some work on this in a later blog.) In our tour there were many shrines to Hindu gods and there was a street parade.
| In the Church of St Thomas, Kerala. Amazing and beautiful |
We went out to tea in a swanky restaurant and it cost Rs.1,500. ($30). Amazing. 4 things are cheap: food, clothes, accommodation and travel.
Then we had a tropical storm and the power went out. I had a good sleep for most of the night and now it is 6.00am and I am getting this done while there is power and internet.
Gerard
No comments:
Post a Comment