Tuesday, 10 December 2013

Mysore Tourist


I’m not much of a tourist. I enjoy seeing sights but instead of traveling to marvel at a sight of interest I would much prefer to go to a community, settle in and get to know people. That is what I have done with my two student communities here in Mysore. I live with and the sisters and teach 7 Aspirants and 3 Novices. I spend most of my day with the brothers where there are 15 Aspirants, 4 of whom are in second year.
Yet on Saturday last we, Liam and I, had the most wonderful day visiting 4 major tourist sites. (Did I forget to tell you that my son Liam visited me for a memorable 6 days during which he made friends with everyone that he met. He lived with the Brothers and played cricket with them every day. As he left last night he presented them with two new cricket bats. They were ecstatic. He is in Chennai now starting his southern tour, scheduled to meet me in Kerala for Christmas. ) Fr Gerard and Fr Immanuel took us to the Maharaja’s Palace, The Zoo, Charmundy Hill with its massive Hindu Temple and the Highlight was the Brindavan Gardens.
The palace is a tribute to power, opulence and unfettered extravagance. Everywhere you look there is fine architecture overlaid with gold leaf and jewels.
Then we went to the zoo. We took many photos and wandered through a reasonably attractive but not spectacular zoo. Then the fathers took us to a hotel for a curry lunch served on banana leaves.
Charmundy Hill has a Hindu Temple to rival all temples. The Prince built it there in gratitude to the Goddess Shiva who killed the demon Charmundy who was plaguing the city. There were thousands of other tourists there in various stages of sight seeing and devotion. After a long and chaotic trip into the country we joined a throng congregating in the most beautiful gardens at the base of a huge lake and beside a lake. There were fountains and cascades of water and many, many tourists. Then when it got dark we were treated to a spectacular light display. This included a dancing fountain with colour and music.
On the way home we came across an accident where a man was knocked off his motorbike. Liam and I stayed in the car while the priests went for a look. Everyone stood around while this man lay on the bitumen bleeding. They eventually turned him, unconscious, onto his back. I could see he was going to vomit and choke so I got out and took control of the situation, putting him into the recovery position. As soon as I did this he could breath and so he recovered enough to get up. We seated him by the side of the road and left him in the care of the others until the ambulance arrived.
Teaching is both a joy and a challenge. The sisters vary from very little to much proficiency in English. Thanks to Olga, I now have access to many books with a grading for ability. I have downloaded and printed about 30 books. I have exhausted three sets of cartridges but the classes have really taken off. They are writing reports on a format I created which they will then present to the class. Reading, writing, speaking and listening.
The Brothers are generally better with English but we are now concentrating on speaking as this is the thing that the other teachers cannot give. We have finished our impromptu speeches and will begin debates tomorrow.
I will be traveling to Kerala on the 21st so have 8 days more teaching here. Then another 20 next year and I am done for this trip.
I miss everyone and everything at home but am well and effective which is so good.
Best wishes to all.
Gerard



No comments:

Post a Comment